Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Most Difficult Part of My Workout

While I have found several activities that I love and that help me to move and get the exercise that I need, I find that I still have days where I really would rather just plop, or sleep in.  Yesterday was one of those days. When I got home from work, I did NOT feel like working out. I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was to plop down in front of the T.V. and just sit on my behind all night. On days like yesterday, I find that the most difficult part of my workout is lifting myself up and taking the first step toward my workout clothes. Once I have decided that even though I would rather plop, I am going to get my exercise, even if it is only 15 minutes, and I carry myself grudgingly over to get dressed, I will get there.

I read some advice on one of the blogs I follow and I am going to pass it on here, because it really worked well for me.  When I don't want to exercise for whatever reason, I don't think about the workout on which  I am about to embark in its entirety because it would overwhelm me and I would remain firmly planted on my butt.  Instead, I convince myself that I'm just going to go and do a short workout and then I take it one step at a time. I lift my behind off the couch or out of bed (which, as I said, is by far the most difficult step). Then I get my gym clothes and shoes on - there, step two done - now, I'm dressed, I better get out the door.  I get out the door and to my car. Okay, from this point it gets easier. I'll just drive to the gym and do a nice easy elliptical workout for 15 minutes and be right back home, better than nothing, right? Once I am at the gym and on the elliptical for about 5 or 10 minutes - I end up doing my entire workout because at that point, I'm feeling much better, energized, and - frankly - happy with myself for getting there.

So, on those days where you just don't feel like getting in your exercise for whatever reason - just lift your behind off the couch or out of bed - that is the first, most difficult step. After that, it gets progressively easier and before you know it - you've gotten in a good workout. And you can justly be proud and pat yourself on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment