Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Little Freaked Out...

For the first time since I have started this weight loss, I have gained a bit of weight (4 pounds over the last week!) and I have no idea why. Here are my current theories, but none of them seems to work:

  1. I'm thinking it may be that I am really close to my time of the month, but I usually don't gain this much and it's usually not before.
  2. I reassessed what I've been eating, and, since I returned from visiting my family about a week ago, I've been doing quite well. I had a few terrible (excessive calories) days when I was visiting my family - but that has happened before, and I'm usually fine - generally, I will be back to my "starting weight" within a few days of returning, and I was losing weight at the beginning of the week. Then this sudden huge gain. Hmm... No idea, and it is freaking me out quite a bit.
  3. The only thing that I have been doing differently is that I have been ingesting more caffeine, I drink 1/2 a cup of coffee in the morning with a tablespoon of cream (35 calories) - but (a) I account for that in my calories and (b) it shouldn't account for four pounds in two days.
  4. I went out to lunch with my husband on Tuesday and had a burrito, which is definitely not low-calorie, but I adjusted my food / exercise, so that my net was only around 1700 for the day (I usually try to keep it around 1200 calories), and I am always very generous with my calorie estimations when I eat out (I will overestimate if there is any question) I've done this several times before and never had an issue. Gah! No idea.
  5. I haven't walked steps for a few days because my knee has been bugging me (need to get that checked, it's been a week) - and I've missed my lunch walk on 2 days because I was busy running around taking care of all the tasks I had to address after my purse was stolen on Monday. But I don't think that skipping my walk for 2 days would account for this (and - with the exception of my day eating out with my husband - I continue to net 1200 calories or less)
  6. I've been incredibly stressed lately. Maybe that has something to do with it. I am having a stressful, busy time at work, my purse was stolen, and both of our cars are giving us trouble - and that has really caused quite a bit of stress over the past month or so. Maybe that has something to do with it, I've heard that stress can help lead to weight gain...??
Maybe it is some combination of these factors. I will keep an eye on my weight over the next couple of weeks, control the things that I can (cut out the caffeine, make sure I get my walk, get my knee checked before it is something serious, try to relax about the purse issue...) and see what happens. I am travelling next week (part of my stress is that my corporate card, all of my identification, my Ipad and my Iphone were stolen with my purse, and I have to board a plane on Monday for a conference, and pay for meals, hotel, etc... with my own diminished funds unless my corporate card gets here on time - it is expensive to replace this stuff and my car is constantly in the shop).  So there it is. I'll try to blog over the next couple of weeks about what I am doing and how it is going. But I am seriously freaked out at this point (more stress, that's helpful).

No comments:

Post a Comment