Wednesday, August 22, 2012

When Being Stuck in a Rut is a Good thing

I stepped on the scale this morning and was happy to see that I am back to the weight I was before all my travelling and craziness this summer. Whew! I attribute this success mostly to the fact that I am back to my routine...I'm back in my rut.  I love travelling, I plan for travelling, and I think I have it down and I do okay when I travel, but it does throw a wrench into my weight loss routine. Before I was successful at weight loss, I tried and tried and tried to lose weight, and I failed and failed and failed. One of the biggest obstacles to my weight loss in the past was that I would start a diet and / or exercise routine and then I would have to go out of town for work, or I would go on vacation, and inevitably my routine would suffer and I would fall out of any good habits I had started to form. So, getting back to my routine, back in my rut, after I travel is very important to my continued success.

Therefore, even though I really did not feel like it, I dragged my behind out of bed way earlier than anyone should be awake, before the sun was even thinking about showing itself (5am) and went to my water aerobics class. I do this every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, I'm back to Zumba class at 6:30 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, and this Friday, my wonderful husband and I are back to ballroom dancing - Fun! (For those of you in San Diego, this is great exercise and great fun - and really inexpensive at Balboa Park - check it out). We are also back to our active weekends, though I will say that the more weight we lose, the more we have to do to be "active" and really burn a lot of calories. We still find fun stuff to do, even though it is HOT. We just do it very early in the morning - long walks, bike rides, kayaking... I'm also back into my food routine. Sunday morning, my husband and I go to the fruit stand and stock up on lots of fresh produce, I pack my lunch every day and I pack a lot of fruits and veggies on which I can snack if I get hungry. My routine has worked beautifully for a year now, and if something happens and I have to change my routine, I'll figure out how to do that because the results are so worth it. But for now, I'm happily stuck in my rut again.

No comments:

Post a Comment