Thursday, December 27, 2012

Moving through Life

I read an article by Denise Austin the other day called Keep Moving.  It is a great article and I would highly recommend it. Actually, I have written about the issue the article addresses before, but I think that she describes what I have tried to convey perfectly. She advises her readers to "Try to think of exercise as movement rather than a strict regimen."  She is exactly right. Just move, that alone will make an enormous difference in your life. 


Before my husband and I decided to lose weight and ultimately changed our lifestyle dramatically, I would have balked at the idea of "changing my lifestyle." I quite liked my sedentary ways. Loved to go out to eat, go to the movies, go to the theatre, cuddle on the couch and watch TV with my husband all night. I really liked my lifestyle, and the thought of giving it up was just depressing to me. I was having fun. I was quite content with everything but my weight. That said, I was wrong. I love my new, more active lifestyle and it has the side effect of making me feel better - physically and emotionally - my mood is better, just generally speaking. I am not a mental health expert, but I really do believe that living a more healthy lifestyle is good for your mental health as well as your physical well-being.

 

When my husband and I started this diet and exercise thing, we had to make an effort to get out and exercise, we had to build it into our day and consciously make sure that we were moving. Now, it's almost second nature, the things we love to do require us to move. It's the difference between observing life and living it. Before, we would watch T.V. and movies and go to the theatre and sit through life and let other people entertain us. It was and still is, on occasion, enjoyable. Now, we do it on occasion, not every day - we wouldn't want to. It is far more enjoyable to live actively, and experience things, which requires movement - than to watch other people doing them. It is far more fun to be a participant in life than an observer. This is what moving does. So, it is not a regimen for me or for my husband, it is a part of our lifestyle, it is fun - it's how we experience life now. I wouldn't trade it or go back for anything. 

Anyone can do this. Try new activities, you will find something you like. Then keep adding to it...and, as the article says, Keep moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment