Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Breakthrough

Finally, I have broken through my plateau! whew! I stepped on the scale this morning and I weighed 193. Dealing with the plateau was a frustrating experience, but I'm ecstatic that I broke through it - finally. I hope I never see the number 196 on the scale again.

I don't know if it was because of the steps I took, or if it was just time for me to lose it, but here is what I did:
  1. I did what I said I would do in my last post. I measured myself a cup of cheerios for my "cheerios snack" for the day 
  2. Also, as I mentioned in my last post, I started to be more vigilant about ensuring I get my morning exercise. I actually felt well enough to go to my water aerobics class on Monday morning and this morning, and I did a Wii Fit workout yesterday morning. The Wii Fit is not a huge calorie burner, but it does get me moving and burns an extra hundred or so calories first thing in the morning.
  3. I also added two small things that I think helped / will help as I continue.  I have found that small things can really add up. Just like the small handfuls of Cheerios were adding up (or at least contributing) to my plateau - small things like taking the stairs when the opportunity presents itself or going for a small walk at lunch or on break can add up to make a big difference. So I added these two things: First, I work on a college campus that is built on a hill. There is a steep staircase that goes up the side of the hill for the students who live across the street to use. I added a lap down and up that staircase to my lunch walk (which is a little over a mile - the stairs adds about 5 minutes to my 20 - 25 minute walk). Second, my water aerobics class uses several pieces of exercise equipment to create resistance and help with our workout - one of these  pieces of equipment is a velcro strap with fins around it that we can strap around our ankles. There aren't many people in my class who use them, and I didn't even notice them until a couple of weeks ago - but today I added them - I put on the ankle fins and they really created quite a bit of resistance and helped me to get a more intense workout. 
So there it is, hopefully, these things will be effective for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment