Friday, November 16, 2012

Hazah! Finally Broke Through

Finally, I have broken through the 167 barrier. I weigh myself every morning when I wake up - I have been stuck, stuck, STUCK fluctuating between 167 and 170 for weeks! Now, I've had a stressful few months, I have been travelling a lot and have had a family crisis over that period of time. So, to be clear, I'm proud of myself and I'm thankful that I maintained through it all. But, I am still trying to lose that last 25 pounds and it is frustratingly slow.  I wrote a blog post a couple of weeks ago where I talked about reviewing what I was doing and resetting - I did that and it is paying off.

Now, to survive Thanksgiving. I am still working on the best way to navigate visits with my family. They are fabulous cooks, and I like to enjoy the food. The first thing I need to do, and something I've mastered I think is to enjoy the food, but in moderation. Now, "moderation," it's true, is a pretty vague word that can be easily abused. So, to define "moderation" - one helping, no bread, lots of veggies. I am institute the "only eat what I love" rule, and I record EVERYTHING I eat. That all helps, but I still have some pretty high calorie days. The trick is to keep the calories at a point where a reasonable workout will help me net 1200-1650 calories. So, I can take in 2000 - 2300 calories. If I do a good hour of cardio, that will ensure that I hit my goal.

Getting exercise when I am visiting my family is tricky. I like to spend a lot of time with them when I'm there, so that takes away from exercise time. It'll be a bit cold for walking, biking, or other more "social" exercises, I don't want to go to the gym because it takes too big of a chunk out of the day. Thus, the gym is not convenient and I will end up not going, particularly b/c the day passes are kind of expensive and the gym equipment is not as up to date as I'm used to. Therefore, my husband and I have decided to take a couple of Exercise DVD's that we like along and do those first thing in the morning (and maybe once in the evening). We will see how that goes. The workouts are more intense than walking, and it is just an hour out of the day - so I'm encouraged. I need to protect my weight loss, I don't want to backslide right after I broke through my little barrier. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment