Tuesday, January 10, 2012

About Me and Why I am Adding to the Billion Blogs on Weight Loss

I decided to start this blog because there are so many people struggling with the same issues I am. In today’s society, where junk food is readily available and myths like “you can eat whatever you want as long as you exercise” are so pervasive, I thought I would add my two cents to the myriad of blogs out there on this subject. If I can help someone else through this in some way, it will be worth the trouble. 


I am in the process of losing weight, but that is just the beginning, anyone can lose weight. My worry at this point is that once I lose it, I need to keep my habits in place to keep it off. The keeping it off is the difficult part, apparently. So I’m going to be candid here about what it takes and how it feels –successes and failures - the good and the bad – the funny and the sad (did I really just rhyme? That was NOT intentional, don’t worry, there will be no more of that cheesiness here.)


I am 38 years old, and weighed nearly 300 pounds six months ago. It was unhealthy, it was horribly embarrassing and, quite frankly, depressing. I am a fairly successful person. I have a graduate degree, I have a great career, and I am very happily married to a wonderful, handsome, and caring man (I really do have the best husband on the planet). I can achieve anything I put my mind to; especially if someone tells me I can't….well, almost anything. Until about 6 months ago, my weight was my big failing. I just couldn’t lose it. Physically, I was miserable. I had terrible migraines, I had all kinds of aches and pains, I felt huge. I got winded walking up stairs; I couldn't lie on my back because I felt like it would go out when I stood up. My cholesterol was dangerously high, I didn't realize it then, but I had absolutely no energy, and I felt worse then I knew I did (I’ll talk about this in a later post). 


Being fat affected me in more ways than just the physical. I was depressed, and embarrassed to be seen in public. I felt like people were judging me, not by who I am or by all of my successes, but by my one failure. I am not lazy, really. I worked my butt off in school and now at work…but I was still fat. I hated shopping for clothes or getting my picture taken. I have always been very outgoing and extroverted, but I found myself becoming more and more withdrawn as I got bigger, and my confidence was completely gone. I would shrink back into the corner in nearly all social situations (including meetings at work). To anyone who has never really struggled with their weight, these things may sound absurd, and not everyone reacts the same way to being overweight – but this is how it impacted me. I felt like I was trapped inside myself and it was awful. 


As of this morning (Jan. 10, 2012), I have lost 83 pounds. My confidence is returning, I love to shop for clothes (which is a bit of a problem), I have much more energy, I feel like my head is more clear, and my aches and pains are disappearing. While I still get migraines, they are not nearly as intense as they used to be. I am a happier person and I don't feel stressed as easily as I used to. I notice benefits all the time that I never considered when I embarked upon my weight loss journey. 


It is important to note that I started my weight loss on a medically supervised weight loss program. Because of that, I lost weight really fast when I started.  I lost 45 pounds medically supervised in 12 weeks, note that losing weight so rapidly is generally not considered healthy, hence the medical supervision. The rest I've lost on my own. One last important thing: If you need to lose weight, talk to your doctor before you attempt a diet of any kind to make sure you won't hurt yourself or make yourself sick.


This blog is just my experience. Everyone is different and different things may work for different people, this is what is working (or not, in some cases) for me.  While I try to be as healthy as I can, I am not a doctor, so do not take my advice as medical advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment