Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Elliptical, the Food Network, and Me

I really did not feel like going to the gym yesterday (honestly, this happens a lot). But I dragged myself in to get my workout anyway. Forty-five minutes on the elliptical can be excruciatingly boring. I can't read on the elliptical, because I am not quite coordinated enough to pull off that particular feat. If I attempt to read a traditional paper magazine or book, I'm certain it would result in my falling off the exercise equipment in spectacular fashion. Me and the book would end up on sprawled on the floor and / or caught in the machine  in what I'm sure would be a horribly embarrassing gym mishap that would emotionally scar me and everyone around me for life. If I tried to read from my Ipad, the same thing would happen, only it would be far more expensive. I would listen to my Ipod, but I fear that I would drop it or spill my water on it. That leaves the convenient little televisions that my gym has installed on all of the exercise equipment. Perfect.

My husband and I do not have cable, we stream everything on Roku or Netflix; and there is some programming that we do not get at home. So, when it is difficult to motivate myself to go to the gym, I will time it to coincide with programming that I cannot watch at home. Oddly, what I have settled on is Food Network programming. I love Chopped, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and Restaurant Impossible...and I can sit through (or rather, exercise through) a Cupcake Wars or two. Now I know that this sounds like a weird form of self torture, but it's really not so bad. The shows are entertaining and they really do not make me hungry nor do they make me particularly want to eat the food featured on the show. Hey, it works, I get my work outs, and I feel MUCH better after I work out...even on days when I absolutely do not feel like working out (maybe especially on those days).

Okay, so not everyone will be enamored with the Food Network - what do you do to motivate yourself to work out when you really do not feel like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment